You can probably find tofu at your regular supermarket or grocery shop nowadays. Tofu is made from soy beans which is a great source of protein with all sorts of goodness inside.
This is a healthy tofu salad recipe with lentil sprouts: a super food rich in vitamin C, folate and potassium.
The refreshing taste of tofu and lentil sprouts go well with flavoursome soy sauce and sesame oil dressing. Nori seaweed adds a hint of the taste of the sea.
It’s a very simple recipe anyone can have a crack at. It’s vegetarian and vegan friendly, too. With two types of bean, you’ll definitely be full of beans after eating this salad!
You can get rid of excess water by putting the wrapped tofu in a microwave for 1 or 2 minutes.
Tofu is an indispensable ingredient in the Japanese diet. It’s coagulated soy milk which contains lots of isoflavones. Some studies suggest isoflavones balance hormones for women. It’s a good source of iron and calcium and a great substitute for animal meat as well.
Lentil sprouts is a new face to the superfoods and is packed with vitamins and minerals. Lentil sprouts are healthier than already healthy boiled lentils, as the nutrients in the beans increase as they sprout, as well as no lost nutrients from the cooking process.
Lentil sprouts are available to buy in the salad vegetable section of supermarkets. You can find Nori sheets in oriental grocery shops or at the world food section in supermarkets.
Tofu (bean curd) and kale salad is super healthy and nutritious. It’s a great dish for vegans, however the Japanese style fried garlic flavoured dressing makes this salad everyone’s favourite!
Are you one of those people who knows tofu is good for you but isn’t so keen on it? If so, this delicious salad recipe is for you.
Looking gorgeous and vegan friendly: it’s a perfect dish for parties.
1 packet Tofu
1 Spring Onion (chopped)
2 cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
2 tbs Soy Sauce
1 and 1/2 tbs Apple Vinegar
2 tbs Sesame Oil
2 tsp Sugar
- Boil the kale for 3 minutes. Dice the tofu. Arrange them in a serving bowl.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and fry over a medium heat until golden brown.
- Add the soy sauce, apple vinegar, and sugar to the frying pan. Once boiled, turn off the heat. Leave to cool.
- Sprinkle the spring onion over the kale and tofu in a bowl and add the dressing.
- You can find tofu for this recipe easily in your local supermarket nowadays. I use the one pictured below.
Some of you might say that Tofu, a block of soy bean curd, tastes bland and boring. If you are one of these people, please try this recipe. It only takes 5 minutes to make.
The Sharpness of the Wasabi paste and buttery rich flavour of the avocado transform tofu into an interesting dish. It’s healthy and nutritious too!
Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids, so a great vegetarian alternative can be made when replacing the tuna with olive oil.
Ingredients for 3people
1Pack of Tofu (Bean Curd)
1 Tin of Tuna (Drain excess oil)
1 Pack of Salad Cress
3-5 tbs Soy Sauce
1-2 tsp Wasabi Paste (Mix with the soy sauce)
1. Dice the tofu and avocado, and then place them in a bowl.
2. Add the drained tuna, the soy sauce and the wasabi paste mixture into the bowl.
3. Add the Salad Cress in the bowl and roughly mix all the ingredients.
1. Adjust the amount of soy sauce and wasabi paste for your liking.
2. If you have time, drain the tofu block before cooking. First, wrap the tofu block with kitchen paper, then place on a large plate. Put a wooden chopping board or something similar on top of the tofu, making sure the tofu will be pressed evenly. Drain for about 30 minutes.
3. For a vegetarian alternative, replace the tin of tuna with 1 tbs of olive oil.